Wednesday, February 19, 2014

An update, a teaser and a request for imagination

Wopsy, more time that I wanted since last update, was busy but good busy, wassup?

I had been itchy about some speed issues with Murphy and the vnc routines i'm using, to begin with there was some strange slowness with the networking code, given that I used out of the box components from python, took some measures and seemed that the urllib and built in web server from python has some weird flushing and networking issues that were slowing things down unnecessary (along with some bugs of my own).
One thing lead to another and to make a long story short I ended up writing down some easy to use yet fast socket routines along with a full vnc client, all in python.
Yes, included in it I wrote from scratch the vnc client library (includes raw, hextile and zlib decompression) and uses the web browser as the UI, this opens the door for doing something I wanted to include in murphy for a long time, a simple record & playback for the more simplest cases.
Buuut, nice tweaks that got along was that I included a protocol register, so you can do neat things like type vnc://192.168.56.1:5900 and it will open a web page with the vnc client pointing to whatever ip address you used in the vnc: protocol, neat! and to my very surprise performance is quite decent (no, you cant play fps games on it...)
The networking and vnc client are yet to be plugged with murphy, and I'm debating myself as to include in the same package or keep them as separate (but needed) library, i'm still undecided.

 As for the teaser, I started working into one ... let's say... interesting feature. It is still taking shape and I'm collecting opinions, suggestions and ideas... so here's a preview...


You have to pay attention to the details, I wont tell you (yet) what i'm doing, however It would be interesting to know what YOU think it will come.

So here's my request for imagination, what do you think it will soon murphy be able to do? what will you want it to do?

Hopefully in a day or two I'll find the time to do some writing about it.

-Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment